Monday, July 30, 2007

Reign Over Me

Viewed: 07.23.07
Theater/DVD/Cable: Plane
Overall Review: 4.5 out of 5

Plot:
A man (Adam Sandler) who lost his family in the September 11 attack on New York City runs into his old college roommate (Don Cheadle). Rekindling the friendship is the one thing that appears to help the man recover from his grief.

Memorable Scene:
Me, weeping uncontrollably in my first class seat throughout most of the movie.

My Thoughts:
If you want to feel pain in your heart and unclog a tear duct or two, watch this film. I don't think there is person out there who can watch this without shedding a tear. Not only did it make me think of all the people who's lives were destroyed by the events of Sept. 11th, but I also had to deal with my own internal demons of potential loss and grief. This is by far the best Adam Sandler role (surpassing his terrific 'Punch Drunk Love' character) and he deserves some kind of recognition for an amazing job. And Don Cheadle is always excellent and nails his role perfectly.

When I got back home and hugged my loved ones I told KajaWife about the movie and by the time I finished we were both in tears. You have to watch this movie. The problem is when and how? If you are already in a dark mood this might push you over the edge. If you're in a good mood, that will definitely change. Maybe just watch it by mistake, like I did, on a plane (yeah, not the best place to watch a post 9/11 flick). But find some time and watch it. Maybe when this country comes to grips with what happened here and starts treating 9/11 as a national day of mourning and memoriam will this movie be shown on a yearly basis on national television. But for now, just find a time and go see it. You have to.

No comments: