Monday, July 30, 2007

Blood Diamond

Viewed: 06.07.07
Theater/DVD/Cable: Plane
Overall Review: 4 out of 5

Plot:
Solomon Vandy (Oscar nominee Djimon Hounsou), a farmer, is taken from his family and forced to work in the mines of Sierra Leone. After discovering a huge raw diamond, he teams with a mercenary (Oscar nominee Leonardo DiCaprio) to smuggle the diamond out of the mine.

Memorable Quote:
"Sometimes I wonder... will God ever forgive us for what we've done to each other? Then I look around and I realize... God left this place a long time ago."

My Thoughts:
I am not usually a big Leo fan, but I have to say this movie was very good and not just because Leo did a terrific job (and nailed the accent) but because the entire cast was great. This movie shines a spotlight on one kind of horror (amongst the many others) that occur in Africa on daily basis. It is astonishing to me that the so-called "advanced" parts of the world are so materialistic that they almost always forget what happens just because someone wants to spend 3 months' pay on an engagement ring. The pain and suffering that go into the diamond trade are inexcusable and I think this movie will make more people think before they blindly pay the outrageous prices that jewelers demand.

This movie reminded me a little of 'The Killing Fields' (with a touch of 'Romancing the Stone' but without the romance). Especially the scenes with the children being brainwashed. These are the same tactics that were used by the Khmer Rouge and they are completely despicable. I had moments during the movie that I felt like punching the screen, but was afraid I would either break it or wake the person sitting in the seat in front of me.

So overall, I say this is a must-see and must-tell. The injustice in Africa has to be known and the word spread. Only by educating the masses will there be any hope to change the current situation.

2 comments:

TripJax said...

I really dug this movie too Kaja. Man, I gotta get back into CineJax again...

TripJax said...

Interesting side note...I was watching this movie the night I won the very first Kat Friday Donkament...

Woot!